Schwinn TWINN tandem makeover

Tarbell has been working on her for a few months now, and she’s gone from beater/basketcase to beautiful bicycle. Truly a wondrous transformation from rustbucket to droolicious bicycle-built-for-two.

Behold Eloise, the Schwinn TWINN tandem. Custom paint, new running gear, re-chromed cranks, Shimano 7-speed hub gearing, and custom reproduction badges.

If you have an old classic in the garage, bring her in and we’ll see what we can do to get her rolling again.

Single Speed conversions are happening now! There’s life after death for these old steeds! Who says hot rods have to run V-8’s? Not US!
eloise-1.jpg

eloise-2.jpg

Check Out the build pictures »

Schwinn Twinn logos - PDF download

14 Responses to Schwinn TWINN tandem makeover

1. vince gibson August 14, 2009 at 7:47 pm #

hi i have an old schwinn le- tour 12 spd that i am restoreing the serial number is on the left rear drop out which numbers in the serial number would tell me that year the bike is also when was the le-tour 12 spd first made

thankyou
    vince gibson

2. Jim Torrey August 18, 2009 at 2:17 pm #

i am rebuilding one now, its a two speed kick back. Yours looks great. I would eventually like to replace the fenders and seats, as well as the stickers, mine are almost all off!

any idea where i can get these?

thanks
    jim

3. Richard Gladney September 7, 2009 at 10:53 pm #

What a beautiful job!

I too have an old Schwinn Twinn with the 2-speed kick-back and (like Jim Torrey – above) I would need fenders, seats and stickers to restore mine. Most of the chrome/unpainted metal is also rusted a bit and there are a couple of spokes missing.

I’d love to just bring the bike to you guys and have you do create an “Eloise” with mine (especially with more speeds), but I suspect the cost would be beyond what I could justify. Faced with the prospect of doing this myself, any guidance, suggestions, info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Richard

4. Gilligan September 22, 2009 at 3:27 pm #

Richard, we will be happy to help you realize your dreams. Bring in your bike and we can talk budget with you… Anything from a quick tuneup and new tires, to a complete teardown and rebuild, to a full retromodstoration. We don’t really do concours restoration… we prefer to use better-than-original components to make the bike safer, lower maintenance, and more fun to ride.

Eloise is a retromod: pretty much the only things that are original are the frame, fork and cranks.

If you just want some advice, surf over to our bicycle maintenance forum, sign up, and begin asking questions by starting a few discussions.

5. Nicollette July 11, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

hey guys,
    I’m remodeling a 1970’s classic Schwinn tandem bike. The tires are very hard to come across. Do you know of some stores or companys that carry these tires (26 x 1 3/4)
    thanks!!!

6. Foss August 22, 2010 at 5:58 pm #

Nicollette…had the same problem with my Late Mother-in-law’s tandem Schwinn…you need to search the web for a Kenda S-6 26×1 3/8×1 1/4…this is the only Schwinn compatable brand I was able to find…

7. Garth Duplantis November 24, 2010 at 7:02 pm #

I am restoring an early 1970’s Schwinn Twinn Five Speed. I need both the rear brake cable and the rear derailer cable, both are over 80 inches in length. Do you have any suggestions where I can find them.

8. Chris G February 13, 2011 at 12:47 am #

any of you twinn folks looking to part with your bike? restored or not, i’ve been trying to chase a good one down. Trying to get one by October to ride off into the sunset on my wedding, let me know if you can help

9. Gilligan February 13, 2011 at 7:57 am #

Re: decals: I did the artwork for them, and they were created in cut vinyl and applied between the paint and clearcoat. I don’t know if I still have the art but if I find it I will upload it here.

Re: cables: talk to your LBS about ordering some tandem cables or search online.

10. Gilligan February 13, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Logo file uploaded! See above ^

11. daniel March 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm #

hello i have a schwinn that looks just like the bike in top pic.could u pls tell me what its worth

12. Greg Batman December 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Hello,

Stumbled onto your web sight…. I’m in the middle of my own project. I’m splicing two Schwinn Twinns into a triple…. I dig those wheels and that rear hub. How do you like it? Where can I get those? Do you have part numbers? Realize this is an old post but what the heck

Cheers,
    -Batman

13. Gilligan December 18, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

I believe it’s a Shimano Nexus hub, 8 speed. The wheels were custom built. The owner of the bike no longer works at the shop, but he drops in from time to time (he’s now a sales rep).